Amazon holds the special Amazon Prime Day shopping event every year. On that day you can get large discounts on multiple products, also for consumers in the Nordic region (however, Amazon Prime Day offers are limited to Amazon Prime members but many brands do special promotions). This month a new edition of Amazon Prime Day is coming, coming Monday, July 15. Starts at 00:00 and lasts for 48 hours.
According to Amazon, the global sales event in 2018 was the most successful to date, with the sale of more than 100 million products. J.P. Morgan analyst Doug Anmuth says Prime Day 2019 could result in more than $5 billion in sales for Amazon, a massive 56% increase from of the $3.2 billion he believes the company booked last year (2018).
Prime Day trends per land
McKinsey conducted a worldwide research among 2587 consumers in the US, the United Kingdom, France and Germany, among others, into their experience with Prime Day. Two thirds of the respondents are mostly positive, and 70 percent expect to participate in the shopping bonanza this year and expect to buy products in more categories this year.
The research also shows:
- Consumer electronics is at the top of the wish list, followed by clothing and books. There is great interest in searching for Prime Day offers from Amazon's own brands and services. Amazon video and music and Amazon Alexa (voice assistant) are at the top of a third or more of consumers' wish lists
- Most consumers plan the product categories they are going to buy in advance. Only 21 percent expect to shop spontaneously on Prime Day.
- While 30 percent of customers expect to spend slightly more than last year, 15 percent have plans to spend much more (US, 18%, France, 17%, UK, 16%, Germany, 9%).
- Shoppers in the United States (25%), Germany (23%) and the United Kingdom (22%) are most likely to shop spontaneously on Prime Day; in France that is 15 percent. For the vast majority of consumers, however, the planning starts up to a month before Prime Day 2019.
- Voice-Assisted Shopping is embraced, and even 40 percent or more of all consumers surveyed ask Alexa to order products from Amazon. Especially for consumers between the ages of 18-39 Voice Assisted Shopping is very interesting this year, although there is also a lot of interest in Voice Assistant Shopping among people aged 40-49.
- It is also interesting that consumers' awareness of Amazon's online delivery and shopping pick-up service is increasing rapidly. This year, around a fifth of the shopping public in France (22%), the US (21%), Germany (17%) and the UK (17%) say they have plans to explore and buy Amazon Fresh deals.
Do you want to know more about Amazon Prime Day or sell on Amazon? Then contact us.